Councils roles are set out in Section 6 of the Local Government Act 1999. Their principal roles are to:
- Act as representative, informed and responsible decision makers in the interests of their communities;
- Provide and coordinate various public services and facilities and to develop their communities and resources in a socially just and ecologically sustainable manner;
- Encourage and develop initiatives within their communities for improving the quality of life within them;
- Represent the interests of their communities to the wider community; and
- Exercise, perform and discharge the powers, functions and duties of Local Government in relation to their areas, as contained in the Local Government Act 1999 and other Acts.
For more information about how councils work:
How Council Works